Food Quality Schemes
The Food Quality Schemes Project is studying food supply chain dynamics and quality certification. It provides an analysis of potential policy options for a European-wide framework for the development of quality assurance and certification schemes managed within an integrated supply chain.
The work has been structured into two major steps:
Stakeholders consultation process:
A series of workshops carried out in 2005 ensured that the analysis is based not only on the best existing knowledge in the field, but also on the experience and knowledge of the different stakeholders.
A Stakeholder Hearing organised in May 2006 in Brussels to validate and complement findings obtained within the project.
A Stakeholder Conference on policy options for a European-wide framework for the development of food quality assurance and certification schemes, building on results previously generated within the project.
Research studies on food supply chains:
A research study on Food Supply Chain Dynamics and Quality Certification (concluded in November 2005) and an economic analysis of the Quality Assurance and Certification Schemes value-adding process along the chain aim at providing sound scientific information on food quality assurance and certification schemes within the European Union (EU).
All reports are available:
Case studies: (DG JRC/PTS and ETEPS network coordinated by TNO)
- Giray, FH and SH Gay, 2007. An analysis of Food Quality Assurance Schemes in the European Union. 2nd International Congress on Food and Nutrition organised by TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) , in Istanbul (Turkey), 24-26 October 2007.
- Gay, SH and A Schneider, 2008. A comparative analysis of Food Quality Assurance Schemes: The case of Neuland and EurepGAP. In: Schriften der Gesellschaft für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften des Landbaus e.V., Band 43 "Changing Agricultural and Food Sector", 111-119.
- Cáceres Clavero, F, R García Collado, FH Giray, SH Gay and E Martínez Navarro, 2007. Analysis of Supply Chain: “Dehesa de Extremadura” PDO cured Iberian ham. Poster presented at the I Mediterranean Conference of Agro-Food Social Scientists. 103rd EAAE Seminar ‘Adding Value to the Agro-Food Supply Chain in the Future Euromediterranean Space’ in Barcelona (Spain), 23-25 April 2007. Online
- Gay, SH, 2007. Food Quality Assurance Schemes in the EU. Paper presented at the World Bank Executive Training Workshop: The Common Agricultural Policy of the EU, Leuven (Belgium), 10-14 June 2007.
- Giray, FH, 2007. Types of schemes operating in the EU – overlap or synergy? Paper presented at the DG Agriculture and Rural Development conference: Food Quality Certification – Adding Value to Farm Produce in Brussels (Belgium), 5-6 February 2007. Online
- Gay, SH and G Gijsbers, 2007. Summary of case studies undertaken by the JRC. Paper presented at the DG Agriculture and Rural Development conference: Food Quality Certification – Adding Value to Farm Produce in Brussels (Belgium), 5-6 February 2007. Online
- Gay, SH, 2006. Quality assurance schemes: advantages and disadvantages for the EU agro-food chain. Paper presented at the Workshop on "Agricultural and Food Trade" in Uppsala (Sweden), 8 November 2006.
Gay, SH, 2006. Food quality assurance schemes: prospects and challenges. Paper presented at JRC Information Day and S & T Workshops in Sofia (Bulgaria), 28 April 2006.
Events' minutes: (meetings, workshops...)
Website of the Food quality schemes project
Food quality policy, DG AGRI, European Commission
Conference "Food Quality Certification - Adding Value to Farm Produce"
F. Santini, S. Gomez y Paloma